Roscoe Moss Company’s Sea Flo® Screen is used to construct subsurface intakes for desalination plants. Sea Flo® Screen’s unique slot shape maximizes hydraulic efficiency, minimizes fouling capacity of produced water and mitigates deleterious consequences to marine organisms.
Acquisition of seawater is the first step in desalination. Seawater is commonly extracted using one of two structures: subsurface intakes (wells or buried lateral intakes) or open ocean intakes (submerged but unburied structures). Subsurface intakes offer a number of advantages over open ocean devices.
Advantages of Subsurface Intakes
- Minimal pre-treatment requirement due to natural filtration of the filter pack thereby increasing consistency in water quality
- Lower capital and operational costs due to pre-treatment
- Reduced intake of suspended solids and minimal entrainment and impingement of marine life resulting in lower environmental impact
- More consistent water temperature due to subsurface source
- Less influence from surface runoff and tidal changes